JavaScript for WordPress Forums Vanilla JavaScript What am I doing wrong here?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    William
    Participant

I’m working on a personal project I thought would benefit from using Javascript.
    It took some digging around online that I needed to defer the code until the page had loaded, hence the wrapping in the on-load function.

But, I’m having an issue getting this to actually work (it does work with querySelector – but only returns once, before the first instance of gallery icon).
    What exactly am I doing wrong?

window.onload = function() {
    	var content = document.getElementsByClassName( '.gallery-icon' ),
    	    newInnerHTML;

newInnerHTML = '<div class="share-bar">',
    				newInnerHTML += '<div class="social-icons">',
    				newInnerHTML += '<a href="http://twitter.com/share?text=&url=" class="social-icon twitter" title="Share on Twitter" target="_blank"><i class="fa fa-twitter-square"></i>Twitter</a>',
    				newInnerHTML += '<a href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=" class="social-icon facebook" title="Share on Facebook" target="_blank" onclick="window.open(this.href, \'newwin\', \'width=500, height=200\'); return false;"><i class="fa fa-facebook-square"></i>Facebook</a>',
    				newInnerHTML += '<a href="#" class="social-icon print" title="Share on Twitter" target="_blank"><i class="fa fa-reddit-alien"></i>Reddit</a>',
    				newInnerHTML += '<a href="#" class="social-icon print" title="Share on Twitter" target="_blank"><i class="fa fa-pinterest"></i>Pinterest</a>',
    				newInnerHTML += '<a href="#" class="social-icon print" title="Share on Twitter" target="_blank"><i class="fa fa-picture-o"></i>Purchase Prints</a>',
    				newInnerHTML += '<a href="#" class="social-icon download" title="Share on Twitter" target="_blank"><i class="fa fa-download"></i>Download</a>',
    				newInnerHTML += '</div>',
    				newInnerHTML += '</div>';

content.innerHTML = newInnerHTML;
    }
    Will
    Participant

What are you trying to accomplish? That will determine how someone responds to your question. A couple things though:

getElementsByClassName only needs a class name, not a selector (i.e. ‘gallery-icon’ not ‘.gallery-icon’, note the dot)

getElementsByClassName returns an array, so either you need to select an item from that array (e.g. content = getElementsByClassName('gallery-icon')[0] and then set that innerHTML, or loop through each item and set the innerHTML for each pass, but it depends on what you’re trying to do

Also, all your innerHTML += lines should end in a semicolon, not a period

William
    Participant

Yep…
    I was starting to think I’d need to incorporate a loop.
    You pointing out the dot helped. And targeting one of the items in the array really cleared things up.

What I’m trying to do is display a share bar on images. Right now just targeting any images that are wrapped in WordPress’s Gallery wrapper.
    Funny thing though, is when I do this, I get an empty Gallery Item with the share bar, instead of having it inject in the targeted one.

Heading back to the Loop lesson now.

Thank you!

Will
    Participant

If the gallery-icon already contains the image, you’re wiping it out by setting innerHTML to something new. You should try creating a document fragment and appending all of your new HTML, and then using appendChild on the gallery-icon item

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.