JavaScript for WordPress Forums Vanilla JavaScript JavaScript is the BALLS!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    William
    Participant

I am LOVING everything I’m learning right now. Zac, I’m so glad you put this together.
    Not only do you really drop it down to super super basics, but I love that you walk through the process of thinking like a developer.
    I’ve been building sites on WordPress for 10 years now, but was always learning by trial/error and throwing shit till it stuck. I got decent enough at it that way to earmn some money at it. But this is a new level for me.

I just got done with DOM (and took a sneak peek at VanillaPress which got me school-girl-giddy) , but I’m going to start over from the beginning and make sure I nail down each little thing, variable, function, etc. etc. and spend actual time monkeying around.
    If I could suggest something that might help: Actual assignments as opposed to “play around and do stuff.” If I had a small assignment at the end of each video that was specific, I could make my way through it, then actually see it in action, and then be able to get a little creative on my own.

Thank you brother. Really. I haven’t been getting work lately, and I’ve been on the fence of giving up the web stuff the last 6 months or so. And this course has got me so excited about bringing a fresh new element to my skills and life.

Joseph
    Participant

@William, I created my own assignments which was no more really than trying to rewrite each topic in the browser and hack about chaning names, values, etc.

Like you I learned javascript by hitting my head against a desk and making things work (eventually). Last time I seriously looked at Javascript was almost 20 years ago and that was just through trial and error and a few books.

I agree, learning this stuff in a more structured way is really useful.

Keep up the great work everyone.

Zac Gordon
    Keymaster

William thank you so much for sharing this.

I agree that more defined exercises could be helpful, but I left them out for two reasons:

1. Was a matter of time involved for myself and the student. In addition to creating all of the examples, to create different exercises too is a lot and at the moment I really need to focus on rolling out more content.
    2. Although we cover a lot of content before getting to the projects, like VanillaPress, these are really the best way to practice since we’re really building something practical and fully functioning.

Once the content is all complete I will be going back to try to improve the course more pedalogically and will definitely remember what you point out here because as the instructor I agree.

Hopefully you can follow Joseph’s lead a bit here and play around with your own extra exercises and practice, which is sounds like you have been doing a bit.

Hope this helps and thanks again!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.