JavaScript for WordPress Forums Bugs & Issues Feedback on Lesson Length

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Hey Zac, just wanted to offer some feedback on the length of the lessons as you’re doing new content. I wouldn’t go back and redo anything you’ve already released, of course–it’s not *that* much of a difference.

For me, I **love** the shorter episodes. Ten minutes or less? Yes, I can do it and then I can decide if I want to go on to the next one or if I need to stop. This is particularly true during the week when I only get a few minutes at best to get in there.

I realize not every topic naturally breaks up into these bite-sized chunks, but wanted you to know that from my point of view, if you’re deciding between one longer and several shorter episodes, I prefer the shorter ones every time.

Thanks!
    P.S. Please teach Tonya @ KnowTheCode how to embed a video player that allows speed controls the way you have–I love that too. I usually watch at 2x but then slow it down if it’s *very* unfamiliar territory–great feature!

It actually enhances my learning because at the faster speeds, my mind doesn’t have as much time to drift away from what you’re communicating.

Will
    Participant

Hey Chris – for Vimeo players (like on Know The Code) this Chrome extension works really well for adjusting playback speed

Chris
    Participant

@Will, thanks for that!

Zac Gordon
    Keymaster

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the feedback on the video length. I definitely agree that shorter is better but in order to offer and organize soo much content I have hard to make some videos much longer than I normally would. The downside is they take longer to watch, but the upside is when navigating a section there may be only 20 some videos instead of 70 of them.

I understand there are some tradeoffs there and where I can, I will definitely shoot for shorter videos. However, at least for this section on tools, there are going to be a few more long videos coming.

Hope that explains things a bit.

Sarah Ovenall
    Participant

Thanks for breaking up the long videos into playlists, it really helps!

Zac Gordon
    Keymaster

Hi Sarah!

You’re so welcome 🙂 glad it is helpful!!!

In the future I will play around with trying to better track within WordPress what video you left off with and jump there even if it’s within a playlists… After I finish some more content tho ;p

Cheers 🙂 Enjoy the shorter videos 🙂
    Zac

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.